Thursday, July 9, 2009

Children Playing

A friend who works for a SC state agency that deals with children has informed me that it would be acceptable to allow my preschool and elementary age children play in our back yard while I remain in the house, assuming the following conditions are met:

1. The backyard is contained with a gate/fence and children are instructed to remain in gated area
2. I can hear and see my children from the window
3. My children are characterized by acting responsibly
4. I can be outside rapidly if there were to be an emergency
5. I do not live in an area with high crime rates

I found this very freeing because I can prepare dinner or fold laundry while my kids enjoy playtime outdoors...still watching and listening, of course!

This is by no means intended to be a legal statement but a general guide. Please seek the opinion of state government employees in your area if you have questions about this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment