|Photo courtesy of Horia Varlan on Flickr.com|
To disinfect a sponge, get it really wet and place it in your microwave oven. Microwave it on high for 3 minutes. When it comes out you will have a like-new sponge. (When it starts to look like your child's well-worn lovie, however, TOSS IT! Trust me, you can afford a new sponge.)
As for dish rags, they need to be laundered in the hottest water possible on the longest wash cycle. Add a little bleach to the wash periodically and dry them on the hottest setting possible. If they still smell like mildew when you're done, the dish rag is past it's prime. Ask for a new set for Christmas or your Birthday if you have to!